City back to winning ways with Radcliffe Cup goalfest

Micheal O'Hehir grabbed two goals to put City on their way to victory on Saturday.

Michael O’Hehir grabbed two goals to put City on their way to victory on Saturday.

Armagh City 5 (O’Hehir 2, E Tavares, Maciulaitis, Blevins)
Warrenpoint Town Reserves 0

Manager Joe Kerr elected to make some changes for Saturday’s Bob Radcliffe cup game, bringing Conor Larkin into goal, Jake Keegan starting on the right wing and Daniel Courtney and Caio Lobo drafted into the defence.

The game kicked off in blowy conditions and City immediately looked to impose themselves on the game, a complete change from last week’s defeat against QUB, as O’Hehir fed Keegan in the opening minutes and he sent in a shot which was well saved by Berratt Turker, the first of many on what turned out to be a busy day for the ‘Point keeper.

City were impressive attacking down both wings with Clarke and Keegan especially making headway with some good moves down the right flank, but the young visitors somehow held them at bay in the early going.

In one isolated attack Warrenpoint broke upfield looking dangerous but the ever reliable Grimley was alert to the move and cleared comfortably. City kept up the pressure although in a Warrenpoint attack Larkin made a decent save, but the City onslaught continued at the other end with Turker making two more fine saves to frustrate City as the half reached its midway point.

The duck was broken on 26 minutes when O’Hehir rushed unto a through ball and though Turker denied him with the first effort, O’Hehir coolly slotted in the rebound to put City ahead.

The lead was doubled 10 minutes later after Hynds played a good pass to O’Hehir who turned his man before finding the bottom corner with a great strike giving the keeper no chance.

City continued to push the Point rearguard but without adding to their lead before the break.

Edilson Tavares came on at half time for Keegan who had picked up a knock and City maintained their dominance, while Hynds made way for Lucas in a straight swap on 50 mins.

Soon after Judge played an exquisite reverse pass to Tavares who moved the ball to Blevins but he was crowded out without getting a shot on target, however on 65 mins the game was as good as over when a great move involving Judge and Maciulaitis down the left resulted in a cross being whipped over for Taveres to head home past the beleaguered keeper.

Judge, who had his best game yet after injury, made way for Nesbitt on 72 mins as the home side went in search of more scores although to their credit Warrenpoint never gave up trying to break through City’s rearguard.

In one attack Grimley did well to clear as ‘Point threatened but from the resulting corner the ball broke to O’Hehir who play Maciulaitis through on goal from the halfway line with a superb pass and he raced clear to steer the ball to the keeper’s left and it clipped the inside of the post on its way into the net for the goal the striker deserved.

During this period City also rattled the post and they duly completed the scoring in the 83rd minute when a good move down the right side involving Tavares, O’Hehir and Maciulaitis resulted in Blevins scoring to complete a comprehensive win.

The win was a big boost to City and with some more experienced players due back from injury there will be continued competition for places in the starting line-up in the coming weeks, with plenty of cup and league action on the horizon.

City: Larkin, Clarke, L Grimley, Lobo, Courtney, Hynds (Lucas 50), Judge (Nesbitt 72), Keegan (E Tavares 46), Maciulaitis, Blevins, O’Hehir. Subs not used: Smith and Devine.

Posted in First team news

Main Sponsor

Armagh Sports and Trophies

Next Match


Armagh City v Windmill Stars

Saturday 30 June 2018
Holm Park, 3pm

Club Sponsors

Armagh City Hotel

HomeCare Independent living


Philip White Tyres Ltd

Web Partners