City ease past Seagoe in cup

Armagh City 4 Seagoe 0

Armagh City eased into the second round of the Mid-Ulster Cup with a comfortable 4-0 win over visitors Seagoe on Tuesday evening last.

Leading 3-0 at the interval, the Holm Park side were never threatened but the visitors can take great credit with a superb battling performance.

The writing was on the wall, however, as early as the sixth minute when Gareth Grimley cut in from the right and unleashed a powerful shot which rebounded off an upright into the path of Philip Donnelly. The attacking midfielder then fired a 25-yard cracker past unfortunate Seagoe ‘keeper Mattie Currie.
On 16 minutes Grimley rapped an upright for the second time as the visiting defence struggled to keep City at bay. But dogged work from Seagoe’s Luke Brown and Aaron Webb kept their team in the match at this stage.
But midway through the opening half, City made the decisive breakthrough when Barry Quinn collected the ball inside his own half and ran 30-yard before putting Grimley in the clear and, this time, the striker made no mistake and easily found the net to record his 11th goal of the season.
Seagoe tried to to fight back but a 30-yard effort from Stephen Duke was well saved by Armagh stopper Sean Morgan and then Ryan McGerrigan was at full-stretch to deny ex-City man Simon Haffey when he diverted a goalbound shot for a corner.
City hit back immediately but went unrewarded with chances from Mark Davidson and Donnelly who both blasted just wide when in the clear.
But, just before the break, the home side did get the third goal their attacking flair deserved. On this occasion McGerrigan and Donnelly combined to set up Sean Mallon who blasted home with aplomb.
Aftert the interval Seagoe dug in, determined not to give City a runaway win and, as a result, it was a more dour affair.
They were led well by ‘keeper Currie who pulled off an early brilliant save to deny McBirney after a fine delivery from an Ultan Lennon free-kick.
City then had three quick chances to add to their score but Grimley blasted wide and Currie came to his side’s aid once again when saving well from Robbie McQuade and James Nesbitt.
However, there was nothing the stopper could do on 76 minutes when Quinn’s shot was cleared off the goal-line, only to fall to the onrushing Lennon wo made no mistake to make the final score 4-0.
With time running out City’s Nesbitt hit a post and McBirney and sub Conor McNamee also had good chances to put Armagh further ahead before the final whistle.
Armagh City: Sean Morgan, Philip McBirney, Ryan McGerrigan (James Nesbitt on 46), Ultan Lennon (Conor McNamee on 76), Barry McColgan, Mark Davidson, Gareth Grimley (Robbie McQuade on 66), Sean Mallon, Barry Quinn, Philip Donnelly, Paul Carville.

Seagoe: Matty Currie, Chris Megaw, Luke Brown, Aaron Webb, Jason Campbell, Gary Simmons, Dylan Byrne (Ross Beattie on 71), Andrew Simmons, Simon Haffey (Sean Kennedy on 85), Stephen Duke (Gareth Willis 85), Geoff McCollum.

Ref: Mr R Young (Richhill).

Posted in First team news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Main Sponsor

Armagh Sports and Trophies

Next Match


Armagh City v Windmill Stars

Saturday 30 June 2018
Holm Park, 3pm

Club Sponsors

Armagh City Hotel

HomeCare Independent living


Philip White Tyres Ltd

Web Partners