City make it 2 wins from 2 in 2017

Armagh City 4 (Rushe, Mullen 2, Hynds)
Annagh United 2

City made it two wins out of two in 2017 with a comfortable win over rivals Annagh United. The opening quarter hour saw little in the way of goalmouth action as neither side were able to get any real control of the game.

The home side eventually started to get some good passing play going with Rushe, Hynds and McSorley all heavily involved. The deadlock was broken when Tiarnan Rushe latched onto a fine through ball before slotting his shot past debutant keeper Danny Devine.

The home side took control of the game from then and it was little surprise when City doubled their lead minutes later. This time it was the hardworking Conor Mullen who headed home a Sean Mallon cross for his first goal since returning to the club. Minutes later a superb Rushe cross was deflected out of the path of the in-rushing Mullen when it looked as if he would have a simple tap in.

The visitors were restricted to counter attacks and from one of these Aaron Duke should probably have opened his account for his new club when the ball flashed across the face of the City goal.

It was, however, City who were making the majority of the chances with a Mullen shot going narrowly over the crossbar and minutes from the interval the same player clipped the corner of post and crossbar with a free kick from just outside the box.

The second half started as the first half had ended with the home side well on top. City extended their lead 10 minutes in when a superb Rushe cross from the left was met in the air at the back post by Matthew Hynds who headed home.

A couple of minutes later they added a fourth this time Mullen heading home for his second of the afternoon. He almost completed his hat trick shortly afterwards when he met Dale Montgomery’s excellent cross on the volley but his effort went inches wide of the keepers left hand post.

In the final fifteen minutes City took their foot off the pedal and allowed Annagh to come more into the match.

It was no surprise therefore that when a ball broke kindly to Annagh new signing Nathaniel Ferris on the edge of the area that he place an excellent effort into the top corner giving home keeper Connolly no chance.

Minutes later they doubled their tally when Aaron Duke also scored his first goal on his debut for his new club.

The final score might suggest that there was not a wide margin between the sides but had it not been for the fact that City failed to take more of the chances they made and also that they took their eye of the ball in the closing minutes the scoreline would have been a better reflection of the match.

Team: Connolly, Montgomery, Toal, Lennon, Carvill, Hynds, Kelly, McSorley (Blevins), Mallon (Grimley), Rushe (McQuaid), Mullen Subs not used: Boyle and Graham

Posted in First team news

Main Sponsor

Armagh Sports and Trophies

Next Match


Armagh City v Windmill Stars

Saturday 30 June 2018
Holm Park, 3pm

Club Sponsors

Armagh City Hotel

HomeCare Independent living


Philip White Tyres Ltd

Web Partners