City take a ‘Point from league leaders

Warrenpoint Town 1
Armagh City 1 (S McGerrigan)

Shea McGerrigan's first goal of the season made sure City left Milltown with a point on Friday night.

Shea McGerrigan’s first goal of the season made sure City left Milltown with a point on Friday night.

With two wins in their last two matches City travelled to league leaders Warrenpoint on Friday night in reasonably optimistic form.

The league leaders dominated however from the first whistle with City old boy Stephen Murray causing the visitors defence massive problems with his strong direct running. The home side were also having the better of the midfield exchanges with John McGuigan showing why he had been voted the Championship Player of the Month for October as City struggled to get any foothold in the match.

It was of little suprise, if somewhat fortuitous, that the home side took the lead when the unfortunate Toal deflected a Murray cross past keeper Connolly on thirteen minutes.

Five minutes later they had the ball in the net again but this time the effort was disallowed for offside.

City’s first real opening of the match came after 20 minutes when Jordan Bell flashed a ball across the face of the Warrenpoint goal but none of the incoming forwards was able to make contact. Minutes later another Bell effort was well saved by keeper Maguire in the home goal.

It took an Ultan Lennon goal-line clearance on the half hour mark from a Stephen Murray header to keep the home side from doubling their lead.

The visitors started to get their passing game going and a fine move involving Shea McGerrigan and Jordan Bell saw a Philip Donnelly effort blocked for a corner and then McGerrigan just failed to make contact with a Donnelly through ball. City had an opportunity to get back on level terms when a Lennon through ball found Campbell but his shot went high and wide. Within a minute John Connolly came to City’s rescue as he raced outside the box to clear the ball from the in-rushing Murray.

Then on the stroke of half time City equalised when following good work on the left by Shea Campbell his cross was met by Shea McGerrigan who stroked the ball home.

The second half started where the first had ended with City taking the game to the home side. They won a series of corners from one of which Paul Carvill had a shot saved and a McGerrigan shot went just wide before a Carvill free kick from 35 yards was scrambled away by keeper Maguire.

City had a couple of excellent chances to take the lead first when Bell headed a corner back across goal and Lennon coming in should have got his header on target, next a Bell shot was tipped over and then a Sean Mallon effort was pushed away for yet another corner. An excellent ball found McGerrigan wide left and he was caught in two minds as whether to shoot or pass to Campbell at the back post and in the end the chance came to nothing.

The home sides only chance of the half came in added on time at the end of the match when from a corner the ball flashed across the face of the City goal and away to safety.

A point was the minimum return City deserved from this match and indeed had they collected all three their hosts could not have had any real complaints.

Team: Connolly, Montgomery, Toal, Lennon, Carvill, Bell, Mallon, Hoey (McSorley), Donnelly, McGerrigan, Donnelly, Campbell. Subs not Used: Graham, Rice, Lobo, Murtagh.

Posted in First team news

Main Sponsor

Armagh Sports and Trophies

Next Match


Armagh City v Windmill Stars

Saturday 30 June 2018
Holm Park, 3pm

Club Sponsors

Armagh City Hotel

HomeCare Independent living


Philip White Tyres Ltd

Web Partners