City over the ‘moon with six-goal blast

Armagh City 6 Killymoon Rgns 0

Recent good form by Killymoon Rangers was brought to an abrupt end by Armagh City at Holm Park on Tuesday evening last.
The County Tyrone side had lifted themselves off the bottom of the Belfast Telegraph Championship Two after back-to-back wins but any hope of a hat-trick were quickly dashed by the rampant local outfit.

City took control from the outset but found it difficult to break down a keen Killymoon defence which competed for every ball.
On 13 minutes, however, a low shot from Gavin McParland almost found the net but Ranger’s ‘keeper Matthew Rainey pulled off a superb finger-tip save to deny the big striker.

Midway through the half Armagh did open up their account when an inch-perfect cross from the right by Dale Montgomery was met by the head of the inrushing Dara Noonan who found the top corner of the opposition net.

City then contrived to miss three good chances with McParland, Philip Donnelly and Andy Moore all going close.
But, on 43 minutes, the home side deservedly made it 2-0 when Lennon again popped up in the box to flick home after a cross from the left by the accurate Montgomery.
And City quickly increased their lead to 3-0 just before the break when a superb reverse pass into the box by Donnelly was collected by McParland who cleverly rounded Rainey to slip the ball low into the net.
Half-time: Armagh City 3 Killymoon Rgns 0.
Armagh kept the pressure up in the second-half and, on 50 minutes, were cruising at 4-0 ahead. On this occasion Stephen Murray broke clear and, after a 30-yard run, slipped the ball past the onrushing Rainey who was left exposed by his back-four.
But the best was yet to come when Holm Park witnessed one of the best goals – if not the best – ever seen at the ground.
A deep cross into the box from Donnelly was smashed into the roof of the net from 12-yards by a magnificent and acrobatic overhead kick from midfielder Andy Moore. The dynamic finish brought everyone watching to their feet in admiration.
Ten minutes later City rounded off the scoring when another superb reverse pass – this time from Kevin Keegan – found McParland who curled another low shot past the hapless Rainey.
Armagh were still not finished, poured on the pressure, and should have added to their tally through Lennon, Moore and Donnelly. But a mixture of grim determination by the Killymoon defence and bad luck kept them at bay.
This was another solid display by City who controlled the game from start to finish. 
The only disappointment on the night was an early groin injury to young defender Luke Grimley who had to leave the field after just 15 minutes. 
Armagh City: Sean Morgan, Dale Montgomery, Paul Carvill, Ultan Lennon, Luke Grimley (Dara Noonan on 15), Eamon Kelly (Matthew Hynds on 65), Kevin Keegan, Andy Moore, Stephen Murray (Conor McNamee on 72), Gavin McParland, Philip Donnelly. Subs DNP: Gareth Grimley, Liam Cullen.

Killymoon Rgns: Matthew Rainey, Jason Ferry, George Dardis, John Scott, Craig Mackin, Andy Neill, Lee Hunter (Ryan Ferry on 66), Steven McElhatton (Gareth McGaw on 72), Richard Donaghy, Roger Greer, Johnny Young (y/c). Subs DNP: James Lesley, Gareth Ramsey.

Ref: Alistair Burns, (Portadown).

Posted in First team news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Main Sponsor

Armagh Sports and Trophies

Next Match


Armagh City v Windmill Stars

Saturday 30 June 2018
Holm Park, 3pm

Club Sponsors

Armagh City Hotel

HomeCare Independent living


Philip White Tyres Ltd

Web Partners