City get league win over stubborn Celtic

Armagh City 4 Lurgan Celtic 0
Armagh City were made to fight all the way against a stubborn Lurgan Celtic in the Belfast Telegraph Championship Two on Saturday.
But the Holm Park side rounded off a superb week when they eventually breached the visitor’s defence – bagging four goals in the process!
The league win followed victories in both the Intermediate and Radcliffe Cups, against Kilmore Rec and Loughgall respectively.
It also puts City back on track for championship honours this season after their recent away disappointment to Chimney Corner.

At the weekend Armagh started brightly against the Lurgan opposition which had been showing improved form in recent weeks – with former City and Loughgall manager Colin Malone now acting in a coaching capacity at Celtic.
And, for over an hour, they kept City at bay with some dour defending and tigerish midfield play. 
But the local outfit eventually broke the opposition down and went on to win the game in style.
Armagh had started strongly and opened up Celtic on several occasions, with the best early chances falling to striker Steven Murray.
But City’s inability to finish off their chances allowed Lurgan back into the match and they almost grabbed the opener with fine headed efforts from Raymond Fitzpatrick and John Cochrane.
Half-time: Armagh City 0 Lurgan Celtic 0.
After the break City again grabbed the iniative and forced the play.
But, on the hour, they almost conceded a score when a goalmouth scramble resulted in ‘keeper Sean Morgan twice saving on the line, before the ball was cleared to safety.
This scare seemed to waken City up further and they set up a series of raids, inspired by Shea McGerrigan, and almost rounded off by Murray and the lively Gareth Grimley.
And, on 67 minutes, the Holm Park outfit deservedly did make the breakthrough.
A low shot was fired goalwards but the ball hit a Celtic defender and looped into the air. Grimley reacted quickest and managed to head into the net over onrushing ‘keeper Ciaran Fox.
This score settled City and they immediatley went back on the offensive and were now running the under pressure Lurgan defence ragged.
On 72 minutes a dash into the box by Murray ended with the big striker being brought down illegally and Omagh ref Danny Colton immediately pointed to the penalty spot. Murray dusted himself down and took the spot-kick himself, easily defeating the diving Fox.
With five minutes remaining City killed the game off when man-of-the-match Dara Noonan rose high in the box to power home an inch-perfect corner from the impressive McGerrigan.
And, on the stroke of full-time, Armagh made it 4-0 when a close-range header from sub Eamon Kelly – back playing after long-term injury – looked destined for the arms of Fox. But, in a crowded goalmouth, a Celtic defender swiped at the ball and only succeeded in knocking it into his own net!
In the end City thoroughly deserved the victory and were rewarded for their patience against a team who had set out their stall to frustrate the home side at every opportunity.
Armagh City: Sean Morgan, Dale Montgomery, Ryan McGerrigan (Eamon Kelly on 67), Ultan Lennon, Dara Noonan, Paul Carvill, Gareth Grimley (Philip McBirney on 88), Liam Cullen (Micky Toland on 83), Steven Murray, Matthew Hynds, Shea McGerrigan. Subs DNP: Luke Grimley, Sean Mallon.
Lurgan Celtic: Ciaran Fox, Conor McAnallen, Caolan Campbell, John Cochrane, Shane McCabe, Ronan O’Hara, Sam Marshall (Ciaran Conway on 85), Jason Rodgers (Steven Boyd on 77), Raymond Fitzpatrick, Michael Toland, Steven McArdle. Subs DNP: Paul McAnallen, John Campbell. 
Ref: Mr Danny Colton (Omagh).

Posted in First team news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Main Sponsor

Armagh Sports and Trophies

Next Match


Armagh City v Windmill Stars

Saturday 30 June 2018
Holm Park, 3pm

Club Sponsors

Armagh City Hotel

HomeCare Independent living


Philip White Tyres Ltd

Web Partners