City suffer setback as Comrades take the spoils

Armagh City 0-4 Ballyclare Comrades

A very youthful Armagh City side suffered a Championship 2 setback against Ballyclare Comrades at Holm Park on New Year’s Eve. A clinical performance by the visitors saw then score twice in each half to win their sixth game in seven outings. A late penalty and the sending-off of full-back Michael O’Neill after 70 minutes also added to City’s woes.

Matters began badly for Armagh when teenager Chris Maxwell was sidelined with a leg injury with less than 10 minutes gone. And moments later City were 1-0 down when a poor passage of defensive play gifted the ball to Ballyclare’s Mark McClelland who hammered home a low 12-yard shot.

Comrades doubled their tally on 24 minutes when an inswinging corner from the right by Andy Simms found the back of the net. Following these setbacks City tried to assert themselves but, despite having plenty of the play, the end result was lacking.

After the break Armagh grabbed the match by the horns and began to create scoring opportunities.  Ballyclare ‘keeper Ross Glendening – on loan from Linfield – was suddenly forced into action and he did well to clear efforts from both Adam and Richard Nesbitt.

Midway through the second period Armagh captain Liam Cullen also fired in a fierce 20-yard free-kick which whizzed narrowly wide of an upright with Glendenning beaten all ends up.

But as City pressed they began to be caught on the counter-attack by the more experienced opposition. And, on 70 minutes, Armagh literally paid the penalty when a visiting players was unended just inside the 18-yard area.

Scott Ervine took the responsibility for Ballyclare and his low spot-kick entered the net via an upright.  Before and after the penalty-kick O’Neill questioned the award and on each occasion he was given a yellow card and, ultimately, his marching orders.
This resulted in yet another re-organisation for City who, at this stage, were playing for pride.

Moments later the visitors were awarded a free-kick 20-yards out but, on this occasion, City stopper Sean Morgan pulled off an unbelievable save to deny the now rampant Comrades.

But there was nothing the home ‘keeper could do on the stroke of full-time to prevent Ballyclare notching their fourth score. Morgan initially saved a fierce low shot but the ball was diverted into the path of the onrushing Ricky Higgins who blasted into an empty net from close range.     

A bad day at the office for City but their cause was not helped when four senior players failed to turn out for the encounter. However, the young City side battled well under the leadership of Cullen and, with some luck, the scoreline could have been much closer.


Posted in First team news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Main Sponsor

Armagh Sports and Trophies

Next Match


Armagh City v Windmill Stars

Saturday 30 June 2018
Holm Park, 3pm

Club Sponsors

Armagh City Hotel

HomeCare Independent living


Philip White Tyres Ltd

Web Partners